Prepared by Ajay Sandhu
Each week the Human Rights, Big Data & Technology Project based at the University of Essex Human Rights Centre prepares an overview of related news stories from the week.
You can follow the HRBDT project on twitter: @hrbdtNews.
This week’s summary contains news articles from the last two weeks.
- Boston Officials Use Big Data to Find Deceptive Rental Ads, Unsafe Units By Matt Rocheleau Of The Boston Globe
- Public Bodies Made 1,119 Errors in Use Of Phone And Web Data In 2015 By Alan Travis Of The Guardian
- Police In Scotland Criticised For Breaching Law To Spy On Journalists’ Sources By Libby Brooks Of The Guardian
- Report Of The Interception Of Communications Commissioner 2015 By The Rt. Hon. Sir Stanley Burnton
- How Big Data and Algorithms Are Slashing The Cost Of Fixing Flint’s Water Crisis By Jacob Abernethy And Eric Schwartz In The Conversation Uk
- Big Data and A Shocking Waste Problem By Bernard Marr Of Forbes
- Big Data Comes with The Biases Of Its Creators By Rana Foroohar Of Time
- Google Takes Big Data To Smart Cities By Jon Markman Of Forbes
- Stanford Explores Case For Code Of Ethics To Tackle Big Data’s Deluge In Higher-Ed By Krysten Crawford Of Stanford News
- Yuval Noah Harari on big data, Google and the end of free will
Surveillance and Privacy
- Edward Snowden’s Long, Strange Journey to Hollywood by Irina Aleksander of New York Times
- Privacy International’s Communications Surveillance video
- Encryption: FBI building fresh case for access to electronic devices by Staff and Agencies associated with The Guardian
- Oakland Vs Big Data Brother by Timandra Harkness of Spiked
- ‘Proven Case’ For Wide Government Data Spying Powers Says Independent Reviewer by James Reynolds of Human Rights News, Views & Info
- Why the U.S. Still Can’t Track Visitors Who Overstay Their Visas by Steven Brill
- Big Data Could Hold Key to Improving Vaccinations Rates by Nathan Boroyan of HealthITAnalytics
- How ‘eye-tracking’ could change our experience of cities – for better or worse by Jodi Sita et al. of The Gaurdian
- The Most Practical Big Data Use Cases of 2016 by Bernard Marr contributor to Forbes
- Pokémon Go and Big Data: You Teach Me and I’ll Teach You by Hannah Augur of Dataconomy
- Big Data: Creating the Power to Move Heaven and Earth by Manju Bansal of MIt Technology
Disclaimer: The views expressed herein are the author(s) alone.